What Exactly Is TikTok? How Does It Work?
March 8th, 2020
What exactly is TikTok?
- TikTok users can make their own short videos on the mobile app, and often like to have music accompany their videos. The users have creative control over the videos.
- Other TikTok users can ‘react’ to videos they see by filming their responses alongside the original video; or ‘duet’ by making a video alongside another video.
How TikTok works:
- People aged 13 and over can download the app which has a 12+ rating in app stores - though, as, with other age-restricted platforms, parents need to ensure their children are the appropriate age to use TikTok.
- After downloading the TikTok app, users can start creating their own videos or watch content created by other users.
- The content runs across all kinds of subject matter - pets, arts, comedy, sports, food, travel, music, and games. Users can ♡ the content they enjoy to see similar videos.
- Users can also participate in hashtag challenges by clicking the ‘Discover’ button, with new challenges added every week.
Creating and editing videos is simple, with different effects, filters and stickers to choose from.
- Users can easily share videos on other social media platforms, such as Instagram or Facebook, and users can build up followings and reputations – see, for example, street magician Magic Singh.
Are there privacy settings?
- The app has come under fire for a lack of privacy settings in the past but users now have privacy options, including the ability to make their accounts private; choosing who can comment on or download their videos, and who can duet with them. Users can also block other users. Messaging on TikTok has always been private and messages can only be sent between friends.
- Recently, TikTok introduced a new feature that lets users filter comments by using up to 30 words that they can choose themselves. By activating this, users can make sure no one can post comments under videos using words they find unpleasant or harmful.
- All of these options can be found on the top right of the screen (three dots) inside the ‘Privacy and Settings’.
- You can look at TikTok’s safety videos to learn more: @tiktoktips
Do people end up being famous?
- Due to the nature of the app and how viral it has become it is very possible to become famous through creating TikTok content. Give yourself a boost by buying followers, likes and views.